FREE BASIC TO ADVANCED MOUNTAIN CLIMBING INSTRUCTION™
Home | Information | Photos | Calendar | News | Seminars | Experiences | Questions | Updates | Books | Conditions | Links
**********news release, please forward********
Speak out for the Badlands at Senator Ron Wyden and Senator Gordon Smith's Deschutes County Town Hall Meeting
Monday, February 17, 2003, 12:30 to 1:45 pm, Mountain View High School, 2755 NE 27th Street, Bend Oregon
For more information, please call:
Senator Smith's office at 318-1298, or Senator Wyden's office at 330-9142
Since this is a general meeting and not everyone will get a chance to speak, it's important that the Senator's know you are there in support of the Badlands. Signs, posters, buttons, stickers or t-shirts are a good way to make a visual impact. You can either make your own, or contact the ONDA office for help (330-2638).
If you do get a chance to speak, here are a few talking points:
* Wyden and Smith should introduce a wilderness bill for the Badlands into congress the beginning of this session
* Unlimited vehicle access has led to defacement of pictographs, trash dumping, illegal tree cutting and vandalism
* Proximity to Bend and Redmond and the need to preserve open spaces
* The economic benefit of wilderness to Central Oregon
* Broad-based support and consensus on the issue Bend City Council unanimously endorsed the proposal In a recent poll, 54% of Central Oregon residents favored Badlands wilderness, and only 35% were against it. Over 100 local businesses support the proposal
* This is a legacy we want to leave for future generations of Oregonians
More info can be found at www.onda.org/badlands
Badlands Wilderness preservation puzzle Vandals destroy, deface Badlands Pictographs!
A brief history of The Badlands Wilderness Study Area
Photos of a Badlands Tour with ONDA
Photos of a Navigation Noodle in The Badlands with ONDA
Badlands Wilderness preservation puzzle
Vandals destroy, deface Badlands Pictographs!